Growing Challenge: I'm in!

| | Comments (23) | TrackBacks (0)
VictoryGardens.jpgNearly 100 years ago, citizens of the US, Canada, and the UK planted victory gardens in their yards and on their rooftops in support of their countries' wartime efforts.  From Wikipedia: "It was emphasized to home front urbanites and suburbanites that the produce from their gardens would help to lower the price of vegetables needed by the War Department to feed the troops, thus saving money that could be spent elsewhere on the military: 'Our food is fighting', one poster read."

Today, home gardeners are at it again -- but this time, there's a twist.

In his book In Defense of Food, Michael Pollan says that "to reclaim this much control over one's food, to take it back from industry and science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time cooking from scratch and growing any of your own food qualify as subversive acts.  And what these acts subvert is nutritionism: the belief that food is foremost about nutrition and nutrition is so complex that only experts and industry can possibly supply it." (My emphasis.)

Anti-nutritionism is just the start of it... Other home gardeners are picking up the plow to help fight global warming, mediate the risk of terrorist attacks on our food supply, and eliminate the ingestion of pesticides and other toxins.

Growing Challenge.jpgSeveral online citizens aren't keeping the dirt to themselves, either -- they've issued a challenge to us all: Plant an organic garden this year.  A big garden. A pot of tomatoes. A single basil plant. Anything. Just start sourcing some of your food as locally as you can -- at home.

According to Wikipedia, victory gardens "produced up to 40 percent of all the vegetable produce consumed nationally" during WWI and WWII.  With the proliferation of suburban homes since that time, it really makes me wonder what we're capable of now.  What kind of impact could this have on our industrial food system?

Want to help me find out?

0 TrackBacks

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Growing Challenge: I'm in!.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://birdahonk.com/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.cgi/90

23 Comments

I planted a pepper garden last year and loved it so much that I did it again this year. It's kind of fulfilling. I also started composting for my yard. I wouldn't consider myself green but do take satisfaction in being efficient and not so wasteful.

lC20Ellie said:

Did you utilize the ideas of a paper writing service for your good enough release? I opine that you really have good sample essay accomplishing skills. Thanks a lot for sharing this!

markus said:

My favorite clips SEx VIdeOs, frEE sEX DFG827812231

mbt said:

I was searching and come to your site from google. The information will help me.

dawei said:

Juicy Couture womens fashions at Juicy Couture. Shop popular stores to find Juicy Couture womens fashions on sale - all in one place.
Juicy Couture
Cheap Juicy Couture

sat said:

There seemed to be a coach handbags , prada handbags , Gucci wallets , Louis Vuitton Handbags , Juicy Couture Handbags , discount coach handbags , coach handbags outlet , gucci handbags , chanel handbags between how down I was feeling and how much miu miu handbags , Balenciaga Handbags , Louis Vuitton Wallets , chole handbags , bally handbags , cartier handbags , hermes handbags , Versace handbags , Vanlentino Handbags I would spend. My shopping was a way of controlling my Jimmy Choo Handbags , Chanel Wallets , Hermes Wallets , Anyahindmarch Handbags , Dolce&Gabbana Handbags , coach large handbags , coach smart handbags , coach tote handbags , coach hobo handbags.

lone stuffed beijing massage fancy besides phase effect

frequent labor-intensive beijing massage products designed

bamboo fiber said:

who swallow convenient products or bamboo fiber bathrobe services to adduce.

bamboo fiber said:

which Tiffany jewelry country’s laws

coach bags said:

I am happy to find this post very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I always prefer to read the quality content and this thing I found in you post. Thanks for sharing!

Air Jordans said:

Good article! Thank you so much for sharing this post.Your views truly open my mind.

It would have been amazing to see so many planes in the sky together.

ugg outlet said:

I very much enjoy, and above the content is great.

Puma Store said:

Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful!

I very much enjoy, and above the content is great.

I very much enjoy, and above the content is great. pandora beads

Whether sixty or sixteen, there is in every human being's heart the lure of wonders, the unfailing childlike appetite of what's next and the joy of the game of living. In the center of your heart and my heart there is a wireless station: so long as it receives messages of beauty, hope, cheer, courage and power from men and from the infinite, so long are you young.

Well-known Hollywood stars choose,christian louboutin outlet ,but all men who are actually bearing or style may be the tendency of the season with the most advanced.

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Kerry published on February 23, 2008 12:09 PM.

In Defense of Food was the previous entry in this blog.

Bartlett Blue from Jasper Hill Farm is the next entry in this blog.

Powered by Movable Type 4.23-en