The Vermont Hills are alive... with the scent of fromage

| | Comments (31) | TrackBacks (0)
On our recent trip to Whole Foods on River Road in Cambridge, we stopped by the cheese counter and asked, "What's local?"

We bought two cheeses from Jasper Hill Farm in Greensboro, Vermont. The first was a Bayley Hazen Blue raw milk cheese, which was mild, earthy, and on the dry side (it broke into several pieces when I laid on the cutting board) but still soft and creamy. Jasper Hill's Web site describes the texture as "dense chocolaty paste that melts on the tongue." The second was Constant Bliss, a soft cow cheese that the cheese monger suggested after I confessed my love for ripe, creamy goat cheese. I think she actually thought it was a goat cheese, and I have to say the tangy flavor could have fooled me too.

We also got some Ascutney Mountain cheese from Cobb Hill Cheese in Hartland, Vermont. This cheese was similar in flavor to gruyere, but with an airier texture.  Yum!

All three were wonderful and as a trio they complemented each other nicely.  But if I had to pick a favorite, it would be the Bayley Hazen Blue.  It was just so different from the blues I typically see at the market.

vermont cheese.jpgMateo, Andy, Victoria, and Angela Kehler (two brothers and their wives) are Jasper Hill's owners. They say that their cows are "quite spoiled." "Our cows go out on a fresh piece of pasture after every milking during the spring summer and fall and are fed a ration of dry hay through the winter, when they stay in avoiding harsh winter wind and snow and listen to a great selection of jazz and classical music." I love it!

Cob Hill Cheese is part of Cobb Hill Cohousing, "an intentional community" on 270 acres dedicated to "socially and ecologically responsible" living and working.

0 TrackBacks

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: The Vermont Hills are alive... with the scent of fromage.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://birdahonk.com/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.cgi/46

31 Comments

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry:
ugg boots shoes

markus said:

My favorite clips SEx VIdeOs, frEE sEX DFG827812231

I had a desire to begin my organization, but I didn't have enough amount of money to do this. Thank heaven my fellow told to use the home loans. Therefore I used the credit loan and made real my dream.

This Nike shoes High is created exclusively for the ladies. The shoe features bright yellow uppers with black synthetic material on the side panels, collar area, and toe box. The outsole, toe, heel and many other areas use Speed Yellow. White is placed on areas such as the midsole and tongue while Cool Mint is featured on the shoe laces. The ladies are bound to love these just because of the fresh colorway. Available now at select Nike retailers.

seo company said:

Hi !!!
Cheese !!!
It is one of mine favourite .

I’m very interested in your article, and I suggest you to browse some online stores to find something different. Such as: vibram five fingers, good luck.

mbt said:

I was searching and come to your site from google. The information will help me.

supra shoes said:

wholesale Christian Audigierperiod of cheap air maxtime.

puma shoes said:

With the latest technology puma UK from Japa

air jordan said:

Though the Air Jordan air Jordan shoesFusion 5 came and went a while back

SUPRASUPRASUPRASUPRASUPRASUPRASUPRA

Wow, thanks for the insightful post. I look forward to reading more from you.

puma shoes said:

Hi !!!
Cheese !!!

I had been reading a few of the articles right here but everyone provide great information and I needed to leave just a little remark to support a person as well as wish you a good continuation. Wishing you the best of luck for those your own blogging efforts.I truly appreciate the time you absorbed writing this article.

lv bags said:

let me bookmake your aritlces . it is useful to me!

On p. 6, "lawyer", not "lawer." But overall, a great piece.

it's good to know someone has an idea about what's going on.

it's good to know someone has an idea about what's going on.

Whether sixty or sixteen, there is in every human being's heart the lure of wonders, the unfailing childlike appetite of what's next and the joy of the game of living. In the center of your heart and my heart there is a wireless station: so long as it receives messages of beauty, hope, cheer, courage and power from men and from the infinite, so long are you young.

I had been reading a few of the articles right here but everyone provide great information and I needed to leave justugg boots sale uk a little remark to support a person as well as wish you a good continuation. Wishing you the best of luck for those your own blogging efforts.I truly appreciate the time you absorbed writing this article.

If you are looking for the hair straightener,the cheap ghd straighteners are the best choice for you.

Wow...i like your dishes...great.

Coach Bags said:

Coach Handbags is very popular over all the world .The newest model Coach Outlet Store presents a new generation in heat styling technology.The new Coach Bags even has a celebrity waiting list dying to get their hands on it.

GHD Hair Straightener is very popular over all the world .the newest model ghd hair straightener presents a new generation in heat styling technology.The new GHD hair Straighteners even has a celebrity waiting list dying to get their hands on it.This GHD has a ceramic standard width plate so is perfect for straightening and creating flicks, waves and curls.

Well-known Hollywood stars choose,christian louboutin outlet ,but all men who are actually bearing or style may be the tendency of the season with the most advanced.

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Kerry published on January 20, 2008 9:00 AM.

Jonathan's Organics Sprouts was the previous entry in this blog.

Golden -- no, make that platinum -- eggs is the next entry in this blog.

Powered by Movable Type 4.23-en